Your musculoskeletal system is invaluable for your ability to move, from getting out of bed to lifting weights at the gym. It can be hard to go about your typical activities when something is wrong with the musculoskeletal system. That’s why the right care is crucial if you experience pain or discomfort. A chiropractor can help if you’re looking for a natural, non-invasive treatment option.
This guide will discuss the things you should know about chiropractors.
Who Are Chiropractors?
Chiropractors are healthcare professionals who care for the neuro musculoskeletal system. They can target musculoskeletal concerns anywhere in the body.
Most of the time, they treat pain and other issues in the:
- Neck and back
- Joints (knees, ankles, elbows)
Chiropractors use many techniques to improve your well-being and eliminate uncomfortable symptoms.
What Do Chiropractors Do?
To improve your musculoskeletal health, chiropractors use physical techniques like:
- Manual manipulation – adjusting the spine and other joints in the body to realign them
- Soft tissue mobilization – massaging, stretching, and applying pressure to muscles and ligaments
- Ultrasound – using sound waves to reduce inflammation, improve circulation, and stimulate healing
- Exercises – providing specific exercises and stretches to help improve flexibility, strength, posture, and alignment
- Kinesio Taping – using special tape to provide support and stability
- Nutritional advice – helping patients make dietary changes to improve overall health
Notably, chiropractors do not rely on medication. Chiropractic care is excellent if you want to avoid painkillers or anti-inflammatories. They also do not perform surgery.
What is a Chiropractic Adjustment?
The most common chiropractic treatment is an adjustment. It aims to restore proper joint and spinal alignment.This technique involves using gentle pressure and controlled movements to manipulate the spine.During the treatment, chiropractors may use their hands or special instruments to perform the adjustments. They will make a series of calculated, small adjustments around your joints and the affected area.
What to Expect From a Chiropractic Visit?
Your chiropractor will do an initial assessment before you receive treatment. They will:
- Ask you about your medical history
- Perform a physical exam
- Order some X-rays, if needed
These things help them understand your condition and overall health, and assist in the creation of an individualized treatment plan for you.
What Are The Benefits Of Visiting A Chiropractor?
Chiropractic care can help if you experience:
The most common injuries chiropractic care can help with are:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome – a repetitive stress injury of the wrist
- Sciatica – pain that radiates along the sciatic nerve
- Plantar fasciitis – pain in the heel and arch of your foot
- Fibromyalgia – chronic widespread muscle pain
- Pinched nerves – pain triggered by pressure on a nerve
Additionally, chiropractic care can help boost your overall health. It can:
- Reduce your risk of developing degenerative diseases
- Improve your posture
- Reduce your stress levels
- Increase your range of motion
What Are the Risks of Receiving Chiropractic Care?
Chiropractic care is generally safe. However, if your chiropractor is not experienced or certified, you may be at risk of:
Research and find an experienced chiropractor before getting treatment. Look at their qualifications, experience, and reviews from other patients.
Finally, chiropractic care should not replace your regular medical treatments or medications. Discuss your treatment plan with your doctor before making any other changes.
When Should You See a Chiropractor?
Consider visiting a chiropractor if you are experiencing musculoskeletal pain or discomfort. They can help you manage your pain without relying on medications.
You should also consider visiting a chiropractor if:
- You have a history of injuries
- You are recovering from surgery
- You suffer from chronic illnesses such as fibromyalgia or arthritis
- You want to improve your posture
- You are an athlete and want to prevent injuries
You can benefit from chiropractic care and its potential to improve your physical health. Just find an experienced chiropractor who can create the best treatment plan for you.
The Best Chiropractor Near You in Wilmington, Newark, Middletown, Smyrna, & Dover, DE
Chiropractors are invaluable for patients with musculoskeletal issues. With their help, you can take control of your health and get pain relief. They can give you the tools and advice to stay healthy and prevent future injuries. Your chiropractor can also perform treatments to help improve your range of motion, reduce pain, and improve your athletic performance. Consider visiting one if you’re looking for natural relief for musculoskeletal pain.
Looking for the best chiropractor near you in Delaware? You can trust the experienced chiropractors at Delaware Back Pain & Sports Rehabilitation Centers. Our chiropractors are highly trained and excited to care for patients like you. You may call our friendly staff today at (302) 529-8783, so we can assist you. You can also book a visit to one of our locations by using our secure online appointment request form.