Since chiropractors and physical therapists often treat similar conditions and body areas, many patients do not understand if there is a difference. This can lead them to make the wrong decision about who they should visit and when.
While both chiropractors and physical therapists share strikingly overlapping characteristics, there are some key differences between the two. Let’s talk about those differences and where you can go to get expert care from a chiropractor if you are located in Delaware.
Chiropractor Vs. Physical Therapist
Following are the key differences between chiropractors and physical therapists.
What are They?
- Chiropractor – A chiropractor is a professional who provides the diagnosis and treatment of mechanical disorders of the musculoskeletal system. They are particularly focused on how your joints can influence your nervous system and overall body alignment. They offer a hands-on approach to healing, as evident from the word chiropractic which means “to be done by hands”.
- Physical Therapist – A physical therapist is a trained and licensed movement expert that evaluates and treats abnormal physical functions related to a disability, injury, or other health conditions. Physical therapists improve your range of motion and quality of life. They also prevent future injuries.
- Chiropractor – To become a chiropractor, one first gets a bachelor’s degree and then a Doctor of Chiropractor degree. After that, they pass the test to get their license. They also complete a one-year internship at a college clinic.
- Physical Therapist – A physical therapist gets a Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) degree and passes the licensing exam. A physical therapist can also specialize in many fields, including:
- Clinical electrophysiology
- Sports physical therapy
- Health for older adult
What Do They Do?
- Chiropractor – A chiropractor manipulates the parts of your body to ease your pain and inflammation. They work on the philosophy that your body can heal with interventions (manipulations) performed by a chiropractor. They offer non-invasive ways to treat the conditions of the musculoskeletal and nervous systems.
A chiropractor can do the following things:
- Evaluate symptoms
- Perform physical exam
- Run tests
- Do spinal manipulation to ease pain and inflammation
- Recommend other forms of treatment
- Recommend massage and exercises that you can do at home
- Advise you to make lifestyle adjustments
Physical Therapist – On the other hand, a physical therapist improves your movement and function, boosting your quality of life. They guide you in exercises and stretches and educate you on staying active and healthy. A physical therapist can do the following things:
- Get your detailed history
- Perform physical exam
- Evaluate your pain, movements, and flexibility
- Do exercises, stretches, and hands-on manipulation to improve strength and mobility
- Treat patients in an emergency department
- Provide wound care
- Provide posture education to avoid injuries
- Provide overall wellness program
Chiropractor Near Me in Delaware
At Delaware Back Pain & Sports Rehabilitation Centers, our chiropractors are highly skilled and experienced in diagnosing and treating a wide range of problems related to your spine. They evaluate your condition and utilize a holistic approach to care that enhances your body’s own healing powers.
To know more or schedule an appointment to benefit from chiropractic care, call our clinic near you or request an appointment online.