As you probably know, chiropractors practice a form of alternative medicine that is mostly focused on the diagnosis and treatment of mechanical disorders in the musculoskeletal system, particularly in the spine. These disorders often involve pinched nerves, inflamed muscles or tendons, misaligned vertebrae, or ruptured discs – causing pain that radiates not only in your back and neck, but also extends to your arms and legs.
But did you know that there are different modalities of chiropractic care?
By “modalities,” we mean any physical agent that is applied to produce therapeutic changes to biological tissues.
How Can a Chiropractor Help Me?
At Delaware Back Pain & Sports Rehabilitation Centers, we use various chiropractic modalities to relieve pain and hasten a patient’s recovery. In addition to manually adjusting your spine to correct a misalignment, additional treatments may include:
- Laser therapy – This form of noninvasive treatment is clinically proven as effective for reducing pain and inflammation. By penetrating deep tissue structures, laser therapy can serve as an alternative to surgery and prescription in the treatment of low back pain, hip bursitis, and chronic back pain.
- Graston Technique® – Similar to an intense deep-tissue massage, this technique uses stainless steel or plastic instruments to relieve pain, swelling, and stiffness caused by scar tissue from an old injury or surgery.
- Anti-gravity treadmill (AlterG®) – The purpose of an AlterG is to reduce the impact of gravity on your lower body during rehabilitation, thus providing a safe way to exercise and recover from recent surgery.
- Myofascial release – This type of soft-tissue manipulation involves applying gentle, sustained pressure. Done correctly, it can stretch tight and sore areas to eliminate pain and restore motion.
- 3D active traction – This nonsurgical treatment for neck and lower back pain – caused by pinched nerves and misalignment of the spine – combines traction and decompression (stretching and separating joints) with three-dimensional movements.
- Acupuncture and/or massage therapy.
Bear in mind that chiropractic care has a cumulative effect, meaning it may take several adjustments or other forms of treatment to get the desired relief. Also, treatments are more intense and frequent at the start, and you may experience some discomfort between sessions as your back, neck, or other joints adjust to a proper alignment.
However, within a few weeks, you will begin to notice the benefits – and adjustments or therapy will become less frequent and easier to manage.
Sports Medicine in Delaware
The expert chiropractic care we offer at Delaware Back Pain & Sports Rehabilitation Centers is highly individualized to your specific needs. Whether you suffer from joint pain and stiffness, neck or back pain, sciatica, disc problems, muscle spasms, or headaches, we have the chiropractic modalities to alleviate your pain and expedite your recovery.
No matter the cause of your back pain, make sure you see a medical professional who specializes in neck and back treatment – like the talented and compassionate health care providers at Delaware Back Pain & Sports Rehabilitation Centers. Our doctors also provide CDL (Commercial Driver’s License) and DOT (Department of Transportation) physical exams required by federal law for professional drivers.
Contact a location nearest you for an appointment, or complete our online appointment request form here. We look forward to helping you achieve relief from pain and discomfort, so you can get back to the life you love.