DOT Medical Exam for CMV Drivers
Federal law requires drivers of commercial motor vehicles to receive regular physical examinations by a licensed medical examiner. Your safety, and the safety of others, is our utmost concern. At Delaware Back Pain & Sports Rehabilitation Centers our examiners are specially trained, have passed the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) certification exam, and have been listed on the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners (NRCME).
Our examiners are able to appropriately determine medical fitness for duty. They understand the regulations and prevent drivers from being inappropriately disqualified. We recommend that you schedule your appointment at least one month prior to your certification expiring to account for the unforeseen.
What do you need for your appointment?
- Valid driver's license
- List of treating doctors with phone numbers
- List of medications and doses
- Doctors' notes for all medical conditions
If you have a medical condition, no matter how small, you need documentation from the treating doctor stating that your condition is stable and that treatment is adequate, effective, safe, and clears you to drive with this condition. If you have not seen the doctor in a while, you may need to see them to sign off on this documentation.
To help us complete your exam, please review this chart and bring anything applicable to your exam. Please bring medical history and current notes, as well as medication, dosage, and duration. This information will help us determine your certification, but will not guarantee certification.
Vision & Hearing
- Hearing Aids
- Hearing Test from audiologist exam
- Monocular vision Federal Vision Exemption papers (if needed)
- CPAP machine stats for last 30 days, used at least 4 hours per night 70% of the time
- Sleep consultation & study paperwork
- Note from treating doctor
- Doctor’s note with medical clearance for control & complications
- Most recent HgA1c
All prescribed diabetes medication(s)
Insulin waiver (if needed)
- List of medication and dosages being used to control your blood pressure
- Doctor’s note if being treated for high blood pressure
Heart Attack, MI, Stents, Angioplasty, Angina
- Cardiology consultation documentation with clearance to operate a CMV
- Copy of EKG
- Exercise Stress Test Results (Ejection fraction)
Medications & Dosage Information
- Any psychological/depression medications must be accompanied by a note from your doctor clearing you of drowsiness while driving
- Coumadin/Warfarin accompanied by most recent INR test results
- ADD/ADHD accompanied by doctor’s medical note
- Any medication with risk of drowsiness must be accompanied by clearance from doctor including: duration, dosage, and safety while driving.
Stroke, Seizure, TBI, TIA
- Doctor’s note with medical clearance from Neurologist allowing you to drive
NOTE: Taking methadone or medical marijuana are automatic disqualifiers
We are now members of the Delaware Motor Transport Association.
Please let us know if you are a member too!
Why Choose Us?
If you have suffered an accident or injury that prevents you from passing your DOT physical exam or operating a commercial motor vehicle, temporarily putting you out of work or threatening your job, the medical professionals at Delaware Back Pain & Sports Rehabilitation Centers can help.
Here you will receive a multidisciplinary approach to pain relief and health maintenance that allows us to uniquely customize care for your specific pain treatment and lifestyle needs. Our specialists work together as one, and we offer the most effective combination of experience and state-of-the-art modalities to create a treatment plan that works with the natural functions of your body to relieve pain and promote healthy healing.
Our multiple disciplines include:
We offer seven convenient locations and flexible appointment times for drivers of commercial motor vehicles to receive their DOT physical examinations. We understand that time is money, and we will go out of our way to get you back on the road ASAP. Call today for an appointment in Wilmington, Newark, Middletown, Smyrna, and Dover, DE.